Thursday, July 31, 2014

Singaporean woman arrested in Philippines for suspected human trafficking

Story originally published on 7/21/2014

Philippine authorities are holding a woman they suspect of being an illegal recruiter. Singaporean Yvonne Phua was arrested during a raid held on an alleged human trafficking den. Ms. Phua denies the charges against her. She was arrested along with 13 other Filipino nationals for allegedly bringing Filipino maids to Singapore illegally. Michael and Joy Abellar, a Filipino couple arrested with Phua, were the supposed representatives of the PEM Maid Employment Agency, but were not able to present proper documentation that would allow them to operate a recruitment or training facility in the country. Phua admitted that she was a trainer at the PEM Maid Employment Agency, based in Singapore, but claims she was only in the Philippines for vacation. "I come to here actually to tour because my friend is here. I am Singapore trainer but am not working here. The news is very unfair to me. They say I have a partnership here. But I am not, I am a worker, I work in Singapore. I came here to visit my friend," she said. While the PEM Maid Employment Agency is a registered agency in Singapore, in the Philippines it is not. Authorities believe that Phua came to the Philippines to train domestic workers before they were to be deployed to Singapore. Part of the complaint by the rescued women points to Phua as the one who trained them in household duties. Ms. Phua is charged with illegal recruiting and human trafficking, and if found guilty, will face the maximum penalty of life imprisonment. Singapore's Foreign Affairs Ministry is aware of the case and has claimed that it is rendering consular assistance to the Ms. Phua and the family.

Full account available at: